Friday, October 26, 2007

Setting A Goal

The other day I realized that things need to change!

As we prepared to leave for Fiona's knitting lesson, she stated to me that she was glad that it wasn't being held at our home. Of course, I asked her why....because it is "horribly messy" she tells me! My daughter is ashamed...of our home!

I know why. I am a horrible keeper of my home! It is a mess, and I do not do what I should. I've never been very good at keeping my home orderly and now that we have been in a very small apartment, it is even more aparent. The clutter and stuff is overwhelming! I could use the excuse(and I have even been encouraged to do so)that I just had a baby....well, I haven't always "just had a baby" or "been pregnant"! So, perhaps that excuse works the first little while...but why is it I've still let it go?

Well, as I said in an earlier post, I can be quite lazy. Now, I am trying hard to work beyond that and I actually can accomplish alot. But the fact is, I am so overwhelmed, that I have not known where to start and even if I did...I'm afraid it would just happen again.

But today, I am desiring to change this and take the bull by the horns, face the challenge head on! I believe that if I get things thouroughly in order and then get myself on a good maintenance schedule, chores(for me and the girls) that occur regularly...I may be able to get over this hump and become the hearth keeper I desire to be. I keep praying the Lord will give me wisdom and motivation to do it. I believe He is working:-)

So, I am posting a picture today...that truthfully is embarrassing to me. Actually two pictures that show two places in my home that need major help. These places are only a portion of the problem, but one of the worst.

This is (I think it is there) my kitchen table:





As you can see, it is basically a catch-all. At the moment, my hubby has removed anything questionable for me and has given me free reign over what is left.

Here is my desk and sewing area(again, a catch-all):


So, here is my goal....by next Wednesday, I will have my table clear and usable. I will post pictures when done:-) By Saturday of next week, I will have my desk re-organized. I hope by doing this I will be motivated and able to keep to my goals.

I plan to work on other areas as well, because we have invited friends for Thanksgiving dinner and I have been very embarrassed to have company and be hospitable...I don't want to feel this way anymore! I don't want my daughters to feel ashamed and I want to be a good example to them, so that their homes wont get this bad.

Blessings,

Sommer

1 comment:

Mrs. Pharris said...

Somer dear, I know you'll do beautifully. Just remember - baby steps! It truly does add up. I know, I was a natural born messie.

Now, after much prayer and adjustment, I'm finally staying on top of the clutter at least. Now I'm getting to where I can clean and occasionally deep clean.

Be kind to yourself when necessary and ruthless as well. I'll be praying for you.

PS: Have you checked out Flylady.com? Some of her idead helped me a lot!