Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thoughts of Love

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."~Ephesians 5:22

"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it"~Ephesians 5:25

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord. Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged"~Colossians 3:18-21

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. She will do hime good and not evil all the days of her life."~Proverbs 31:10-12

As I have gone through my day today, I have been thinking on some of these verses and what love looks like in a marriage. Of course today is a perfect day to be thinking of these things...being that it is Valentine's Day. We don't really do a whole lot on this day, but we try to remember to acknowledge each other and set aside a little bit of specialness to the day.

If you ever watched a Disney cartoon movie or even some typical Hollywood movies...you find that love happens rather quickly and often they've only just met! I find this(now that I have children and I am an adult)ridiculous! Sure, we often feel butterflies and lightening bolts...but most of us did not fall in love over night and surely there have been times for all of us that haven't felt like there were butterflies. Enter the "world's" suggestion to divorce or that something is wrong. Well, I find this just silly. Love...marriage takes work and commitment. We can't expect it to just move forward when all we are looking for is the flip-flop in our stomach we felt on the first date. No, it takes real honest to goodness effort! And respect and submission, teamwork, patience....the list could go on.

I find somedays that it is very hard to be a submissive wife. I want it my way and I don't always hide that. I had one of those days recently and I'm rather ashamed of it. I felt he did something wrong to me...so I was not so nice back. Childish really! I find that just being the wife God has commanded me to be is the best way I can show that I love my husband. Doing those things that make our home pleasant and make him happy...those are ways I can show my husband everyday that I care about him. As much as I did when we first married.

I don't think I always show Dan that I love him in how I behave and I am sorry that I don't. I really desire to be better about this. I do love him and I thank God daily for the man He placed in my life. He is my dear friend and love, a companion that most dream they had...I have him and only because God was gracious enough to give me such a man!

I purpose to try to live up to the above verses. I want Dan to know that I love him every day in all that I do...not just what I say.

Happy Valentine's Day Sweetie!

And Happy Valentine's Day to all my dear friends:-)

Blessings,
Sommer

No comments: