Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's Snowing!

Okay, not really...but I wish it was:-) Living in California and especially in the area of California I live, we really don't get snow. Maybe once in awhile up on the hill tops...but that isn't very often.

So, to at least make it feel like a white Christmas, we decided to make snow flakes. How do you do that, you may wonder? Well, we took white paper and cut it into 4 squares and then folded those in half twice and we started snipping and clipping here and there! And voila! Snowflakes:-)

Here is Brenna with her glittery ones....




And Fiona with a few of her snowflakes....



And this is all of our un-glittered ones. I think the girls did beautifully for their first time making snowflakes and I know they had a very fun time(especially with glitter dust).


And as you can see...we are having some flurries;-)


So, what kind of home-made decorations are you making? Or do you have some very special keepsake decorations that you or someone made you when you were young?


The paper snowflakes are something I used to love making with my Mom when I was a child. It was always so fun to try to make unique designs with them. This time I tried some new techniques and they came out quite nice:-) We also use to make salt-dough ornaments and paint them...we did this last year to give as gifts for family.


I look forward to seeing some of your Christmas craftiness...leave me a note and your blog address and I'll come take a peek!

Merry Christmas,
Sommer

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Every year, from the time I was born to now, my mom buys each child a special ornament. They are always apropriate to our age, and have the year written on them somewhere. I'm 22 now, so I have 22 ornaments, all lovingly picked out by my mom. I know they are not handmade, but every time I put them on my very own christmas tree, I remember the precious years I have spent with my mom.

I am on the cusp of starting my own family, and we have started the tradition of buying an ornament together after christmas, to mark the year. This year will be our first, and we are looking forward to more.

Serena said...

Your snowflakes are lovely! What fun!

(I tried to leave a comment a couple of days ago, but my connection wasn't working.)

Jen said...

Very pretty snowflakes! I make them with my children every year and was, in fact, planning on making some this afternoon with my boys.

Jenn