Sunday, April 6, 2008

A Legend Gone

On Saturday, a film legend died. Perhaps not everyone will agree with me that he is a legend, but I feel he was one of the best actors that has ever been. Surely not the only great actor, but definitely one of them. Charleton Heston, died at 84...married to the same woman for 64 years!

The fact that he stayed married to the same woman for 64 years makes him an exception in Hollywood, although it was more common back in the day. But Heston was also able to carry off roles that were amazing...Moses, Judah Ben Hur, El Cid! Awesome!


(His first big role...if memory serves me right)

(El Cid)

The death of Charleton Heston isn't a tragedy...as if he'd died too young or for some sorrowful reason. His life was full and great on screen and off. Maybe I don't agree with everything he stood for off screen, but he stood for more than just wishy washy things. It is what made him stand out. He also took the screen and made it his.

I think this is best seen in Ben Hur. One of my all time favorite movies. I can't imagine any one else playing Judah Ben Hur. I'm glad I was exposed to his movies as a young girl. What a shame it would have been to have missed out on them.

3 comments:

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sommer,

I wrote about this on my blog today. I loved Charlton Heston and Ben Hur. I actually met him once! I was brazen in my youth! lol

Thank you for praying. Bless you.

Gina

Serena said...

Oh, I agree, Sommer! I'm so glad that I watched his movies as a child. Big Country and Ben Hur, especially! It's so wonderful to hear of a marriage that lasted, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm only eighteen, but I have grown up watching some of his movies too. My favorite movies that he did were The Ten Commandments and Ben Hur. I'm really sad that he has died.