Friday, May 28, 2010

Considering the Future



As a mother of three girls, my mind often settles on thoughts of preparing hope chests for their future households. I believe it is a good thing to have these essentials(and not so essential) items ready for that day that they walk down the isle a "Mrs." and no longer bearing our last name. I've read a book here or there about what is good to put in the hope chest and have much to think on.

Now of course my daughters are all young...though Fiona is fast approaching young womanhood and I must truly begin preparing her. Her sisters will swiftly be at the same stage...much as I hate to admit that they grow up quickly. The material(linens, dishes, etc.) things are good for certain, but I am also realizing that there are non-material things(skills, knowledge, etc.) that are also important for them to know, to aide them in their vocation of wife/helpmate and mother.

I came across this lovely post by Breezy over at a bowl of moss and pebbles on just this subject and it really got me thinking again about what I would like to encourage my daughters in learning. There are many things I wish I'd taken the time to learn when I was young, but now I have the opportunity to help my daughters in their focus. I pray the Lord gives me the wisdom to guide them and gives them the motivation and desire to learn useful skills!

I do hope you enjoy the post and are given some ideas for your daughters' futures!

Blessings,
Sommer

8 comments:

Mrs. White said...

Breezy's post was lovely and encouraging. There are so many things we, as mothers, can help our daughters each day to prepare them for their future lives as homemakers.

Blessings,
Mrs. White

Me said...

Sommer,

Have you ever read Beautiful Girlhood? It is a wonderful very old book with some great guidance for young women. I think that because it was written so long ago, the wisdom is even more important due to the world in which we live. When we homeschooled, I read it to my girls.

Sommer said...

Mrs. White~I'm not sure if you've ever posted here(or visited for that matter)before...so welcome! Glad to meet you :-) I am looking forward to the many things my girls and I do to prepare them for their futures.

Zebu~I have heard of Beautiful Girlhood, but have never read it. I will check that out! Many of the old books have such wisdom that is still applicable today. Thanks for the recommendation!

Lots of love,
Sommer

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sommer,

What a lovely post! And thank you for the link. I will head over and meet Breezy! :)

Gina

Sarah said...

What a good post! I do not have daughters yet but if the Lord blesses me with some at some future point, it is not too early to even now begin to think about these things. Plus, much of this is applicable to boys as well. I would like them to be able to know how to cook, keep a tidy household and manage a checking account. I had a hope chest when I was a young girl and it was a good reminder for me to consider what I did with my time at that point, to prepare myself for a future role of homemaker.

Kelly said...

Well ya know having soon to be 4 girls this post is great Thanks!
PS- Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi!

Kelly said...

Just wanted to let you know I followed up with your question about eczema. Let me know if my reply helps!

Simply Heart And Home said...

Thank you Sommer for the welcome! It is good to be home. I just posted pictures of Hawaii for everyone to see. :)

Gina