Saturday, May 9, 2009

Thoughts For Mother's Day


"When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world."
~John 16:21

This verse above is so very true for me. I have given birth to four children and each delivery has been fraught with anxiety and recovery has been uncomfortable. My first was even accompanied with long labor and then a c-section! But, how can you stay sorrowful when you look upon the face of your child? Each time my babe has been brought over to me, the sorrow, anxiety and fears have vanished and been replaced by utter joy. What a treasure each child has been!

"A mother is a chalice, the vessel without which no human being has ever been born. She is created to be a life-bearer, cooperating with her husband and with God in the making of a child. What a solemn responsibility. What an unspeakable privilege~a vessel divinely prepared for the Master's use."
~Elisabeth Elliot

"My mother was the source from which I derived the guiding principles of my life."
~John Wesley

"I remember my mother's prayers, and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all of my life."
~Abraham Lincoln

Though, today, my Mom and I may differ on some points of theology, she was a huge source for the thoughts and beliefs I have today. She was daily in my life...praying, loving and talking of God to me. I do not recall a day that she did not pray for me before I headed to school or when I went to bed at night. I felt so much security knowing she brought me to the Lord in this way.

She taught me early that every aspect of my life should be viewed through the Word of God. Though she wasn't perfect she was the best Mom I could have had and I am so thankful today to call her my friend!

I often doubt my own abilities as a mom and I know there are changes that need to be made. But even if I am not doing it "right" all the time, I do know that the Lord has called me to this vocation. I know that I must rely on Him and cry out to Him when I feel a failure, knowing that He will equip me with all I need.

On this day we honor mothers, I remember my own and I pray that my children will think on me with as much love and affection as I do my own mother when they are grown.

May each of you mom's have a very blessed Mother's Day!

Blessings,
Sommer

7 comments:

MamaHen said...

Beautiful post. I hope you have a wonderful day with your family.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sommer,

I am finally feeling better and I hope to catch up on your sweet blog posts soon.

Have a lovely Mother's Day.

Gina

PS are you still having a problem reading my posts?

Seawashed said...

What a loving post Sommer. You are a wonderful mama, just look at those happy smiling faces surrounding you! Happy Mother's Day ~Fairmaiden

Sarah said...

What a lovely post. I too am so thankful for being blessed with a godly mother. It is amazing to see her with my babies, her grandchildren, and realize with so much clarity the self sacrifice and love she poured out on me and my siblings. Things I didn't really think about when I was younger, before I had children of my own.

Have a wonderful Mothers Day Sommer!

Mrs. G said...

Sommer, what a treat to come here and read your lovely thoughts! Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

Paris

Heart Felt said...

Thank-you for leaving such a lovely posting, the illustrations are beautiful too. xx

Mrs. E said...

Sommer,
This was such a BEAUTIFUL post!!! :)
It warmed my heart!!
Hope you had a richly blessed Mother's Day!!!! *hugs*


Love in Jesus,
Miss Jen