Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

"Besides, sir, we shall not fight our battles alone. There is a just God who presides over the destinies of nations; and He will raise up friends to fight our battles for us. The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave...There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!"

"...Gentlemen may cry, 'Peace!peace!' - but there is no peace...Is life so dear, and peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry
I find myself reflecting on these words today. Not because I intend on taking up arms ;-) But because I think we all ought to remember the passion our Founding Fathers and those fighting for America's independence had. Do we have this kind of passion...for our freedoms, our inalienable rights...most importantly for Christ?

On this Independence day I think on my own passion..or lack there of some days. Would I be a Patrick Henry(albeit in a skirt ;-))? I hope so. Do I have this daily passion for my Lord? I know that I could have more. May we work on keeping our rights and freedoms(and not just sit by complaining but doing nothing), but let us also work to keep our passion for our Lord and Saviour!

Happy Independence Day my friends!!!!

Blessings,
Sommer

4 comments:

Mrs. E said...

Hope you had a blessed 4th of July! :)
Beautiful ponderings!!


LOVE~ Miss Jen

Heart Felt said...

Hope you had a great day....xx

Sommer said...

Thank you Ladies, we had a lovely 4th. Visited with my hubby's family and had BBQ. Other than the fact that my hubby couldn't be there(job/sleep...works 12am-8am), it was a nice visit!

Lots of love,
Sommer

Simply Heart And Home said...

Happy belated 4th of July! Love the quote!

Blessings,

Gina